BacTech Comments on Ecuador Tailings Breach
Monday, July 6th, 2020
July 6, 2020, Toronto, Canada. BacTech Environmental Corporation (“BacTech” or the “Company”) (CSE:BAC, OTC:BCCEF) a Canadian bioleach company, has been investigating the use of bioleaching as a means of processing high arsenic concentrates and stabilizing arsenic contained in local tailings. This past weekend, there was a tailings breach in Ponce Enriquez, Ecuador. Approximately 50 tonnes of tailings material were released into the local Tenguel River after a containment wall of a local gold processing facility collapsed. Given the nature of the ore mined in Ponce Enriquez is heavily contaminated with arsenic, an unknown quantity of this was also released into the river.
Bernardo Brito, on behalf of BacTech, recently visited the area as part of a program initiated by the Company to collect representative samples of concentrate produced by local miners. In addition to the Company’s interest in arsenic stabilization, BacTech has also identified the need to provide a local answer to the issue of shipping concentrates to Asia at reduced valuations due to the presence of the arsenic. As it stands, local employment levels are penalized through exporting these jobs to Asia.
The samples collected over the past weekend will be assayed for gold, silver and arsenic. A composite sample of material from the 6 processing plants will be made and shipped to Perth, Australia where it will undergo bioleach test work under the direction of the Company’s Dr. Paul Miller. Results will be reported in 5-6 months, followed by a feasibility study and detailed engineering.
Additional Press Releases & News:
- Debt Conversion Announcement 09-11-21
- BacTech Investigates Bioleaching Potential in Peru 01-11-21
- BacTech Announces Listing on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange 21-10-21
- BacTech Announces Close of Oversubscribed Private Placement 15-10-21
- BacTech Raises $320,000 in Private Placement; Proposed Ponce Enriquez Bioleaching Site Now Selected 23-09-21
- BacTech Announces Growth Plans to Expand IP and Commercial Bioleaching Applications Development 22-09-21
- BacTech Announces AGM Results 16-09-21
- BacTech Announces Successful TCLP Testing Results; Confirms Long-Term Environmental Stability of Ferric Arsenate Precipitate as Ecuador Gold Project Advances 30-08-21
- SolGold Ecuador Vice President and Government Relations Lead Andrew Taunton Joins BacTech as Strategic Advisor 19-08-21
- BacTech Adds Bioleaching and Mine Remediation Expert Dr. Nadia Mykytczuk to the Company’s Strategic Advisory Board 16-08-21
- BacTech Signs Engineering Firm to Begin Independent Feasibility Study for the Ponce Enriquez Project 28-07-21
- BacTech Moves Program Forward on Strong Gold Recovery Results from Commercial Bioleach Testing 19-07-21
- BacTech Initiates Search for Engineering Group to Conduct an Independent Feasibility Study on Proposed Bioleaching Facility in Ecuador 29-06-21
- BacTech Announces Bioleach Test Work Completion 24-06-21
- BacTech Environmental Provides Corporate Update 11-05-21